Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Connectivism and Social Learning in Practice

As educators, we look to our PLCs, grade level meetings, in services and conferences to gain new knowledge, often sharing with our colleagues as we disseminate the new knowledge and plan for its implementation. Through cooperative learning, "students can reflect on newly acquired knowledge, process what they are learning by talking with and actively listening to their peers, and develop common understanding about topics" (Pitler, Hubbell, & Kuhn, 2012, p.73). How often do we bounce ideas off one another? We look to peers, colleagues and friends for social learning and understanding, taking that into the classroom is a natural extension of what goes on throughout our lives. 

Building these collaborative opportunities into our classroom structure not only benefits the students in school but it also prepares students for "the fast-paced, virtual workplace that they will someday inherit"  (Pitler et al., 2012, p. 74). Using technology tools, such as blogs, wikis and online collaborative graphic organizers this year, I have seen increased engagement in students. Getting over the initial confusion of collaborating without talking, they became fully engrossed in the process of building an artifact "together, but separate" as one of my fourth graders said.

Reading through the different ideas, software, programs and websites mad my head spin with ideas. I found the possibility of creating a WebQuest with a group of students from another school, a great way to collaborate on a problem or subject. Extending that to another country through the use of ePals or The Teacher's Corner, would allow the opportunity to learn about other cultures and traditions wrapped up into the inquiry based activity. Collaborating with classmates taking notes and summarizing information through the use of Type with Me, is a great resource for group studying without being in the same room, as is Skype. Watching my own children, a few years ago, utilize Skype with classmates to study for an upcoming test, reminded me of the power of the Internet. Incorporating social learning theories into the classroom environment has become more seamless and natural, and if there is any question as to how to operate a program, navigate a website, or apply an app to a situation, we need to look no further than the students in the classroom; they usually have already figured it out.


References


Pitler, H., Hubbell, E. R., & Kuhn, M. (2012). Using technology with classroom instruction that works (2nd ed.). Alexandria, VA: ASCD

6 comments:

  1. Hey! I agree with you! Social learning is so important. It is natural for kids (and adults alike) and occurs on a daily basis. Peer collaboration projects foster students development as there is always a more knowledgeable other within the group. In the past I have incorporated technology into my small group unit projects through the use of video recordings, PowerPoint presentations, blogs, graphic organizers, etc. And, I am super excited to use VoiceThread with my kindergarteners in the upcoming school year. Have you ever used VoiceThread or wikis with your students?
    I think VoiceThread could be used for reciprocal teaching purposes, which is a great example of social constructivist learning (Kim, 2001).

    -Joanna

    Resources
    Kim, B. (2001). Social Constructivism.. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved June 4, 2013, from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/. Retrieved from "http://epltt.coe.uga.edu/index.php?title=Social_Constructivism"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I have used wikis and found the kids to really enjoy and engage with one another, more so than if they were physically sitting next to each other collaborating. It allowed the quiet ones to express themselves without the actual face to face interaction. Students took pride in their knowledge they shared and how they were represented by their postings.

      I would love to hear your ideas for VT with your kindergarteners. I have a friend who is a kindergarten teacher and I know she would jump at the opportunity to employ more technology with her students. I am moving on to a new school and am trying to think of ways to incorporate VT with the primary classrooms. Not yet knowing their curriculum, I am trying to come up with some general ideas, so I'd love to hear what you many be thinking.

      Delete
  2. I agree with everything Joanna said about the power of doing and using cooperative learning and peer collaboration in the classroom. I think using Skype and ePals would be fun for students. Do you know what your district's policy is on gaining access and permission to use that? I am picturing contracts and signed consent forms and IT request slips. That has been one of my struggles this year with technololgy in my school: it is highly encouraged, but when it comes down to it, we do not have that much and we do not have permission to use much, especially in the form of apps for the classroom or sites such as Glogster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am moving to a new school this summer and I think I will have much better luck at implementing online collaborative tools. This school that I am moving to is in the process of switching to a new email system and I am pushing for gmail for staff and students, while incorporating google apps. I am going to a Google in Education Summit this summer and hoping to bring back with me enough evidence to sway the decision, only if it is as good as it seems. It's hard if there is a real disconnect between the decision makers and those of us in the "trenches" who know the possibilities, but our hands are tied by those less informed.
    Can you gather evidence of successful schools implementing apps and present it to your decision makers? I know that sometimes that isn't even enough as the decision makers are technologically challenged and some think that it's just another fad and it too will pass. Not sure if this is even a possibility for you, but here is the link for the summit "tour" http://www.gafesummit.com. That could be a first step in changing the tide. I'm so excited about going and am happy to share whatever I find out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that we as adults have a need to bounce ideas off of each other and very rarely solve problems without input from someone else. It is human nature, but in the past we have expected students to sit quietly and solve problems on their own with no verification or bouncing ideas off of anyone. Students will respond well to social constructionism especially if they are given clear expectations.

    ReplyDelete